Tuesday, May 4, 2010

I like to believe that most Pantera fans aren't redneck racists.



Today on Facebook, the official Pantera group posted:

"Here is a bit of Pantera trivia for you. What was the original title of "The Great Southern Trendkill"?

The seemingly innocent question, led to a variety of colorful responses specifically from one individual who used a bunch of racist terms, talks of lynching, and more in an effort to be funny. As big of a Pantera fan as I am, I don't know the official original title of the album (although I think it is simply The Great Southern Trendkillers), but I doubt it involves malt liquor and the n-word.

Don't get me wrong, I think racial humor can serve a purpose as social commentary or even just funny incidents where stereotypes prove to be true. But guessing "Shooting Coons" or "Time for a Good Ol' Lynching" as the album title is not funny. Period.

C'mon America, it's time to set the racism of the past aside. And it's douchebags like this that give the genre a bad name. Anyone can enjoy metal.

Listen to Pantera - "The Great Southern Trendkill" below:

1 comment:

Rob Liz said...

I don't know what it is about Slayer and Pantera but those bands seem to draw out some of the worst filth in society.

I checked out what you're talking about and yeah that guy is using fake account for the sole purpose of being as hateful as possible. Such a coward.