Thursday, March 11, 2010

Armored Saint cooks up a solid mix of traditional metal with "La Raza"



The folks at Metal Blade were kind enough to send me a copy of the latest Armored Saint CD, La Raza. So what do I think of it?

Well it is classic Armored Saint at heart. Bush sounds as solid as ever and Vera and the gang put together a catchy and definitely safe album that will please fans.

There are actually a lot of mid-paced to slower tunes peppered throughout, so the record maintains a solid mix in tempo. Although after repeated listens it still feels like there is something missing and I'm not sure why. But I call it like I see it.

Longtime fans can do no wrong by picking up La Raza (it really is a solid traditional metal CD) and if you are unfamiliar with the history of the Saint, I'd recommend starting with the excellent March of the Saint before picking this one up.

P.S. I stumbled across this video of vocalist John Bush and bassist Joey Vera of Armored Saint cooking up some pasta sauce and (briefly) discussing the latest album La Raza which will be released on March 16.



UPDATE: Cooking with Armored Saint Part Deux, available now.

No comments: