Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Dream Theater's Mike Portnoy will play drums on the new Avenged Sevenfold Album



This is the first time (and maybe last) I will ever post anything about Avenged Sevenfold, which I will justify by saying Mike Portnoy playing drums on the album is BIG news (well for Dream Theater nerds at least).

It will be interesting to see the drummer step out of the prog style and play more "commercial friendly" metal music. I imagine the band decided they needed to break out the big guns if recording a new album after the passing of drummer Jimmy Sullivan.

I can't say I hate Avenged Sevenfold, but I have always looked at them as a gateway band. The kind of radio friendly metal that eventually gets people into the "real deal." (whatever the hell that means...)

The vocalist is a bit nasally and whiny for my taste, but the band does write some catchy tunes and has some sweet harmonies, as can be seen in the song below.

I do think it will be interesting to see how Dream Theater fans and the general metal community reacts to this news.

Oh, and for the hell of it, I'll post a classic Dream Theater tune below too. Might as well go with the closest thing it ever had to a commercial hit.



2 comments:

Rob Liz said...

From what I understand Portnoy was the Rev's favorite drummer so the band asked if he would play on the album and he agreed.
Pretty class act thing to do honestly.
Like you I'm not an Avenged fan in the slightest but from what I've heard their music is differant enough to be sort of prog.But I doubt anybody from either camp will lay claim to that:)

143Records said...

Helllo nice blog